Friday, February 15, 2008

Comfort Food

I've been baking a lot lately. Cake, brownies, breads, cookies...anything that my local ingredients will allow (and where they won't, I improvise). I create a makeshift oven, out of three saucepans and a few small stones, on top of one of my burners and hope for the best. The ability to bake, despite the rarity of me baking in the states, has brought comfort. It has also given me a new opportunity in work-- the secretary from our organization was quite excited to learn that I could bake and arranged for me to teach baking lessons at our resource center. I began this past Wednesday by teaching my ten high-school and older aged female students to make a basic cake. The use of a coal fired "sigiiri" rather than my propane fueled burner made the baking process more difficult and unpredictable, yet was most appropriate based on the means my students would have at their disposal. Another, more humorous challenge, was finding activities to fill our time as the cake was slowly baking. The girls asked that I teach them a song or dance from America and so I taught them the Macarena and Hokey-Pokey, the first things that came to mind. There was much giggling from the students and on my part as I realized how ridiculous this scene must look. After a couple hours of increasing, then decreasing, then increasing, then decreasing again the cooking fire, our cake was finished and we each had a piece to enjoy. I hope to next teach them the wonders of banana bread (did I mention they have bananas here?) , brownies, perhaps chocolate chip cookies, and eventually how to make basic bread.

The activity of baking may seem trivial as a method of development, but at the heart of Peace Corps is the mission to increase human capacity through a variety of creative and innovative means. Dispersing knowledge about things such as baking, therefore, is a means to achieve this goal. Whether the students bake only occasionally but find a feeling of accomplishment in completing the task, or they continue to bake frequently and sell their products, the resulting increased knowledge and self-confidence is building capacity of local people. A Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) friend of mine in the Eastern Uganda is similarly doing things she never expected to do as a PCV--teaching clarinet and flute to Ugandan students as part of a larger effort to create East Africa's largest symphony orchestra. Like baking, the task may seem at first to be a long stretch from development work, and yet almost anyone who has participated in extra-curricular activities can attest to their worth for healthy personal development. Perhaps it no longer seems like such a stretch? In any case, the baking is a side project and soon our organization will embark on a large-scale HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention project. There is a fairly large life-skills component to the project that I hope to play a large role in. More details, of course, to come.

That's it for me here in SW Uganda. Just living with life's inconsistencies: power, water, internet all present or absent at any given time. But life is good, and I'm enjoying the adventure.

-Kobusingye Megan

10 comments:

Seth said...

hey megan, great to get an update from you. glad things are going well, and thats sweet about the baking thing. Yeah, its pretty amazing at the stuff yo ustart to do as a member of peace corps. Things you never thought you would talk aobut let alone teach to other people. Glad you are having a great experience. keep it real!
-seth

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

god megan i love you. that post rocks. way to globalize the macarena.

Christina Baldwin said...

Hey Megan, I'm glad you are having such a creative time in Uganda! I think of you often when I look at the Olympic Mountains and remember our trip last May. Soon I'm going to MN to wish Erin well on her trip to Japan and the beginning of that adventure at last. Take care and stay safe.
Christna

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

I think your time in Ankole will affect you as much and as positively as it did me, back in the late sixties at Ruharo (MHS).

Get your girls to teach you the singing game, 'Njojo'. It means elephant. Then you too can take it home one day, show your tusks, and keep children entertained.

jimt said...

Hi Megan. I read about your adventure in the Spring CSB/SJU magazine. I graduated from SJU in 1967. A year later my wife and I joined the Peace Corps and worked in Iran for two years (nurse and ag extension agent). Over the years I have read many interesting things about CSB/SJU graduates' activities but I think this is the first time I've read about anyone in the Peace Corps. I hope your adventure is as challenging and interesting as ours was.
Jim Tichich jatichich@aol.com

Karri said...

Megan,
My sixth grade class was thrilled to read your post and we look forward to reading more. As an avid baker, I can attest to it being a wonderful tool for healthy personal development. Thanks for sharing!
-Karri (IPA)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Megan--

This is Shaun Crumb from SJU and I'm going with a group of students to Uganda. We leave tomorrow, May 14th and we'll be there until June 18th. If it's okay with you, hopefully we can visit your site and learn more about what you are doing. We'll be going to Queen Elizabeth National Park around May 29th or 30th so maybe we could stop by after that.

Thanks,

Shaun, my email address is: scrumb@csbsju.edu let me know if it's possible to connect.

Sarah W said...

Megs!! Its Ani!!! I'm writing to you because my friend Sarah will actually be joining you in Uganda this August. She is doing her medical internship with me as we speak in Peoria, IL where we will soon be Registered Dietitians! She just got her invite letter to the peace corps to travel to Uganda and I remembered that you have been there since last summer. She was showing me the peace corps journals and I saw your picture and got really excited. I hope all is well over there and can't wait for you guys to meet...she is just like me! P.S. I told her you give excellent back rubs :) j/k Miss you Megs and can't wait to see you again!